My first book in print!
I got my first three copies of Cindy’s Story paperbacks yesterday. As you can see the text on the top needs to be resized slightly, which I’ve already done. I’m just waiting for CreateSpace to pull their finger out and approve the updated cover image. All in all, I’m really happy with it, and it’s a lot thicker than I thought it’d be. I only bought three to start with because I wanted to make sure they were ok before I bought more. I’ll buy a full batch once the new cover’s approved, and then I’m going to take them to a local book store to see if they’d be interested in carrying them.
Anyway, just a little update on that. I’m into chapter four of the final book of the Unseen Things series. Yes, this will be the final book in the series, and I have a great ending planned for it. It’s sad to bring it to an end, but I just don’t feel like I have any more story to tell after this one, and I want to move on to other standalone projects. It was great writing a series, but I really want to focus on solo novels like Cindy’s Story from now on.
That’s it for now. I’ll post more updates when I have something of interest.
My Word nightmare…
So the three print books I ordered from CreateSpace…I checked through them and found that pieces of dialog were together instead of having a line space between them. This was because I had to line up the text with the top of each page, and as such I removed line spaces to do so. This was also because Word totally screws the pooch. It would knock a word that came close to the margin down to the next line every so often, and it totally threw everything off. The copies are readable and it’s not a huge problem, but it does happen here and there.
So that brings me to yesterday. Before I noticed that this had happened, I resized the top text on the cover to make it fit a little better. This caused a 24 hour approval delay during which the print version was not available. I discovered the formatting issue during this time, and proceeded to fix it by using hard page breaks on each page. So I get done doing that in a 398 page book, and then I upload it…and CreateSpace says that the gutter size needs to be bigger for a book with this number of pages, even though the previous version had pages within that range and it never complained once about it. So I had to increase the gutter size, but then guess what happened? That’s right, it totally screwed the pages all up. I had to go back through the entire damn book and re-do every single page break.
Anyway, I got it re-uploaded now, so I’m just waiting on the 24 hour approval thing, and then the paperback will be available once again. This was entirely Word’s fault, and I would love to personally kick the asses of everyone who worked on programming that piece of crap. It’s such a pain to work with, and more often than not screws everything up instead of handling formatting the way it’s supposed to. Ugh…what a day. Anyway, the fixed version of the paperback should be available tomorrow or the next day, and I personally checked each page this time in the proof viewer to make sure it was all correct.
By Duane • Uncategorized • 0